Friday, May 7, 2010

Take a taxi

As entertaining as An Unmarried Woman was, I don't think it was that great of a film. Jill Clayburgh's character, Erica, was a very frustrating protagonist. She never made the decisions that I felt she should. I wanted her to claw out her husband's eyes, I wanted her to go on a shooting rampage, I wanted her to spend more time sleeping around before settling on another man. Her "changes" were not so much changes as they were ridiculous whims to which she could not commit. She constantly made herself look foolish and childish while trying to establish her identity as an unmarried woman.

However, Paul Mazursky's ability to identify with and represent the women in the film was striking. None of the women in our class seemed to take any issue with the portrayal of the so-called fairer sex, as Mazursky did such an excellent job of getting into that mindset, for which I applaud him. There are very few men willing to put themselves in that kind of position, even to further their art.

No comments:

Post a Comment